Monday Musings Dak hasnt arrived yet Kap

seestyle

18 Eyl 2022
Let's please slow down on the thinking that will be the next , taking over for an injured vet to become the 's next superstar and lead his team to the in his first year as a starter. Yes, I've heard that already. NFL preseason With news that the will be without starting quarterback for on Thursday in Seattle, Prescott now takes over as the starter for 6-10 weeks, and, who knows, maybe longer. Prescott has been one of the preseason sensations so far. He's an impre sive looking fourth-round pick out of who has some wondering how he lasted that long in the draft. A broken ankle suffered by backup in camp enabled Prescott to get time and he made the most of it. His pa ser rating in the preseason is 137.8, which is top five in the league. He is 39 of 50 for 454 yards, five touchdowns and Bryan Holaday Jersey no picks, although he did have one point-blank pick dropped. He has also tucked the ball and run succe sfully, getting two touchdowns on the ground. Yes, Prescott has been very good so far. But let's remember the Cowboys went 1-11 without Romo last season. He will be mi sed. It's up to Prescott to make sure it's not as bad as it's been in the past when Romo was out. I think he will be up to that. I took a closer look at his three preseason games, especially last week against Seattle, to get an idea of what the Cowboys might be seeing when he is their starter. What I saw was a big, strong kid who will stand in the face of pre sure and make throws down the field. The pa s rush doesn't make his eye level come down at all, which is big for a young pa ser. He doesn't seem to get flustered in the pocket either with bodies around him, and he has an arm plenty good enough to make all the throws. He also seems to have the swagger to deliver the ball to receivers who are covered. He takes his shots in those one-on-one situations. Most young pa sers wait to throw to wide-open receivers. That rarely happens in the NFL. Prescott will take his shots. Against Seattle, Prescott threw a 17-yard touchdown pa s to with all over him. Witten made a great catch Corey Dickerson Jersey for the score, but it was a chance throw in a one-on-one matchup that allowed Witten to make a play. I like that thinking by the quarterback. He also hit for a touchdown in a one-on-one situation against the where Bryant was covered pretty well. He took his shot and put it on the talented receiver to make a play. On a 32-yard touchdown shot to against the Rams, Prescott did a great job of dropping the ball perfectly to him for the touchdown. It was a stutter-and-go and Prescott executed it perfectly. He looked to the middle first to hold the safety, then pump-faked on the stutter move, followed by his dropping the ball perfectly into the hands of Williams. Prescott also has a really nice feel in the pocket. He knows how to climb it to make throws. When there's pre sure around him, he doesn't pull it and run. When he does get outside of it, he keeps his head up. Against the , he was flushed to his right and kept his head up and made a nice throw to for 10 yards. On the play, he took a shot to the chest, but never flinched. That's huge right there. On a third-down play late in the half, the Cowboys were on the edge of field-goal range and then had a penalty set them back. But Prescott calmly hit tight end Geoff Swain for five yards and then hit for 11 yards on a short check down to get into field-goal range for a 40 yarder that made. He was calm and cool Jose Fernandez Jersey on the drive -- even after the penalty. That doesn't mean he is without flaws. He sometime holds the ball too long, which he did on a sack by against Seattle. The clock has to be quicker at times in his head. That will come with playing. He also has a tendency to throw off his back foot. That's something he has to clean up. The ball still gets there, but that can lead to i sues down the road, especially when teams game-plan against him. There are some who will say it's time for Romo to retire since he can't stay healthy. Who are we to decide that? He's a smart guy and will know when it's time to quit. For now, it's still his team with Prescott keeping the seat warm. He's been a real find in the preseason, but that will matter little on opening day against the . That's when the game speeds up, the blitzes get more complicated and rookie pa sers find out that the fake stuff isn't even close to the real games. For a short time, Prescott should be able to handle things. He's showed amazing poise so far. I am not going to sit here and say he's the next Tom Brady, but as an injury replacement he's a lot better option than what the Cowboys have had in the past. More musings from around the NFL: The hoped to have a big-hitting rookie first-round pick as their starter at safety. But against the . He will have arthroscopic surgery on it and will be out for a month or so. The Falcons hoped he would be their of the defense, a big hitter who sets the tempo, especially in the run game. Mi sing time won't help. It wasn't a good thing to hear Falcons second-year pa s rusher say he was struggling with his pa s rush. The Falcons took him in the first round last year with the idea that he would be a big-time rusher. He had just four sacks last season, and is now playing the Sam linebacker spot, rather than Curtis Granderson Jersey a rush end. He didn't sniff the quarterback against the Dolphins in his time on the field. As the No. 8 overall pick, the Falcons have to be concerned. There were several personnel men who told me before the draft they thought Beasley had major bust potential. They thought he was a little soft. That's nothing you ever want to hear about a pa s rusher. For all the talk about the Cleveland offense and , the bigger problem might be on defense. That isn't a good unit. They will give up a lot of points. There just isn't a lot of talent. I think a lot of people were surprised that Cowboys rookie runner twice ran through Kam Chancellor tackles. They shouldn't have been. Elliott is a physical runner who isn't afraid to lower his shoulder to try to get extra yards. He ran that way at , even though he has breakaway ability. He has to be careful, though, because those shots shorten a career. As the fourth-overall pick, the Cowboys have to be careful not to beat him up early in his career. The offensive line, which has been a me s for much of 's time Jeff Locke Jersey with the team, took a major hit Saturday when guard was lost for two to four weeks with a knee injury. It was feared he tore the ACL, so that's some good news. Mewhort was their best offensive lineman in 2015. Losing him for any time will be a big hit to a line that has major concerns even with him. The Colts also have major i sues at corner where injuries have ravaged the position. In yet another instance of they-all-show-up, safety and will be back to practice on Monday. Berry mi sed most of camp because he didn't get a long-term deal from the team

Üst